Traveling with Transfer Equipment



Watch on your mobile device >>

Does a person who uses equipment for personal transfers at home need to do without their equipment when they travel? I know some people who do.  They are able to use less convenient methods or rely on more help from their caregivers as they vacation or spend time away from home for business. Other people with different abilities have told me that they restrict, or no longer travel because the effort to transfer is too great. Neither option, working harder than you do at home while traveling or simply giving up the ability to travel, seems great to me.

One solution for people who transfer well at home with transfer equipment is to combine a lift from SureHands Lift and Care Systems with an Ability Equipped  RV from Winnebago Industries.   One person who did this told me, “I’m taking my access with me.  I’m tired of relying on hit and miss with accessible hotel (rooms)”.

I caution you, you can’t just hang any lift in any RV. Typically  RVs aren’t built for accessibility or capable of supporting  ceiling based transfer systems.  Winnebago Industries offers so many accessibility options in their Ability Equipped RVs such as wheelchair lifts, conveniently located controls, roll in showers, and grab bars that allow people of all abilities to enjoy the RV experience. It’s only natural that they also offer  one of the most  reliable and versatile motorized personal transfer systems available as well.  The staff in the Specialty Vehicles division and I work together with the new RV owner to select the SureHands lift system.  I combine my experience as an Occupational Therapist with my training as a SureHands lift and Care Systems dealer to properly match the traveler’s needs and abilities with the Surehands motor, sling, or body support that will work best for them within the context of the vehicle’s specifications.  The professionals at Winnebago Industries tailor a structural system to incorporate the customer’s SureHands motor and track layout in the RV.  The end result is a motorized accessible home. This sounds like a better option for the vacation or business traveler than to make do with a difficult or unsafe transfer or give up traveling altogether. For more information visit www.winnebagoind.com and search for ability equipment vehicles, and visit www.Surehands.com. I will be glad to tell you more too! The road is calling!